Friday, August 22, 2008

Just a Quote

This isn't filler, I swear! It's just something that I feel is important.

So, here it is, from Ray Bradbury's essay, "Zen in the Art of Writing:"
What is the greatest reward a writer can have? Isn't it that day when someone rushes up to you, his face bursting with honesty, his eyes afire with admiration and cries, "That new story of yours was fine, really wonderful!"

Then and only then is writing worthwhile.
My conscious mind is trying to figure out whether this quote applies to me. Still, my subconscious felt a little giddy when I first read it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Though that certainly sounds like a great reward for writing (to affect another person who reads it and likes it), to say that "then and only then" is writing worthwhile just seems to ignore a few other possible reasons one might write, to focus on others. Why can't a person also write for themselves? To know that they've crafted their thoughts and feelings into a story? Why is "other" the standard of value and reward?