Wednesday, August 13, 2008

It's Like Time Travel

Fahrenheit 451 author Ray Bradbury once wrote in his essay, “The Joy of Writing,” that writers should look to their zest, their gusto, as the most important item they should have. My interpretation of this “zest” is the stuff that brings a person to write in the first place, born of inspiration from works previously read, then enhanced by the environment (or vice versa). The writer’s work is supposed to be propelled by this hidden energy.

I may have lost this energy some time during my studies. Years of studying characterization, plotting, revising, and other craft elements, resulted in a level of polish in my writing, which I love. But I feel this has also led to more stiff, uninspired writing. There have been times when I felt overwhelmed by the work because there are so many writing elements to look after, to the point where I avoided writing altogether.

I look back to old stories and blog entries I’ve made throughout the years (the first posts are always fun), and I see the gusto that Bradbury wrote. I find certain genuineness about them. A voice, unhindered by the rules of writing, or even coherence, happily inhabits words written long ago. But, it’s a voice that I have abandoned because it was too wild to control. Besides, I’m not the same person that I was three years ago. It wouldn’t suit me now.

However, I should try to reconnect with my younger self. There’s a lot that he can teach me about the passion for writing.

[Small Update]
After I wrote this blog post, I found this essay by Holly Lisle that describes exactly what I tried to convey here, except far more eloquently. I also recommend reading the essay that proceeds it.

No comments: