Friday, January 02, 2015

A Nu Start

New post for the year. I'm going to keep it short because I think it'll be better this way. Plus it's the only way I can actually get anything done around here if I promise myself that this will be quick and painless.

What I want to do for 2015:

  1.  Pare down my life so that I have minimum responsibilities - I stretched myself out way too thin with commitments to writing articles and doing homework for writing classes. I found myself getting stressed out over assignments that I procrastinated on, which affected the way I handled the other aspects of my life. My apartment was in a perpetual state of dirtiness, and I kept showing up late for work because I didn't want to face the day with all that I needed to do. So I'm going to take it easy for a while, focus on work and my health. Maybe I'll find the energy to get more ambitious than that, but for now I'm not even going to think about it. It's gotten to the point where even dreaming is stressing me out. 
  2. I've disabled my Facebook account again and will probably keep it down for the year. Facebook has a weird effect on me. Almost all of my interactions with people have been through FB and any interaction I've had with them has been unfulfilling at best. It was making me very depressed, feeling like I'm alone and ignored on a platform that supposedly is made to keep me from being alone and ignored. Staying away from Facebook at least keeps things honest. I can be alone and ignored without the irony. 
That's it for now. This wasn't that short, but if I told myself that this post wasn't going to be short I would never have started. So, I had to lie to myself. And I guess I lied to you too.

Happy New Year.

[By the way, this is a respost from my other blog at jonarisip.com. If I make any more new posts you'll find them there. I might as well make use of the website, considering how I paid for it and all.]

Update 1/5/2015


  • I've reactivated my FB account, but only so people who don't have my phone number can message me. I figured it would be unfair to them that fall off the face of the earth without any warning. I'm still not checking messages or posting though - so I'm still staying away from Facebook.


  • I still have an audience on this blog, so I've decided not to make it more complicated by moving over to my website. So all new posts will show up here. I'll just have to figure out a way to use my Squarespace account outside of blogging.

3 comments:

Little Lady said...

I can completely relate about Facebook. It makes me feel very much alone. Then, the more alone I feel the more I turn to facebook, and for what? Just to make me feel worse. I just might follow your steps on this.

Happy New year :)

Jonar said...

Thanks, Karina. I think Facebook is good for people who are more outgoing and get a kick out of sharing inane things, but for people like me who take a lot of time with their status updates it doesn't do much good.

Did you know that Facebook's algorithms favor frequent, low quality posts (like sharing Buzzfeed clickbait) that have a bunch of likes over quality posts? Meaning to say, the less you post the less likely other people with see new stuff from you in their feed in the future, exacerbating the loneliness factor.

That said, I've decided to reactivate my Facebook account yesterday. I figured it was unfair to other people that I disappeared from their friends list without much notice. That doesn't mean that I'm going to check my page though. And I'm not going to post. I think focusing on other things outside of FB is the way to go.

Jonar said...

Oh, and happy new year to you too, Karina :)