Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Some Writing Goals for 2014

I have set some writing goals for the next 365 days. Here they are:

To write down details without having to pause for 10 minutes every paragraph to figure it out.

This really kills momentum. When I try to plow through the story without the details, I find myself wandering so far off course that I lose what made me excited about the work.

Increase my writing endurance/focus/attention span to an hour.

Dude, writing is tiring, yo.

Learn to use smaller words more frequently. Let's say, 80% per piece.

I tend to lean on 10-dollar words. I blame the fact that I'm an immigrant.


I tried to be as specific as possible. By having measurable goals, it makes it easier for me to come up with tasks and routines to achieve them. Even now, I can see that I need to do some pre-writing to help with the first goal. Does that mean I outline? Freewrite? Think about the topic more prior to the first draft? I have clear options at least.

Also, being specific about my goals helps me to keep track of any progress. Because if I can't keep track of progress then I'll lose interest very quickly. I need to keep myself excited about the process, and the only way that I can think of doing that is to show myself that my effort isn't in vain.

Anyway, hope this works out.

No comments: