Tuesday, July 02, 2013

Writing Challenge - A Post-Apocalyptic Comedy About Mental Illness

Depression has been a big part of my life for a while now. And I think that has been exacerbated by our society's obsession with post-apocalyptic stories. So, here's a writing prompt I thought up that combines the two - maybe the absurd can lighten some spirits:

Imagine a world where, due to a virus that targeted only mentally-well people, that the only ones left on earth are those with mental illnesses. Now, all you have left are tribes of people whose gene pool is packed full of neuroses. Our heroes will have to deal with these traits, and their survivor's guilt, as they navigate their bleak, hostile environment.

Write this out as a comedy. Dark comedy might fit better with the scenario, but if you can insert some slapstick into your piece, I would highly encourage this.

There you have it! Go forth, and let the hilarity ensue. I'll post something too, if I can ever get out of my own head.

And if you find this offensive, well, you've missed the point of the exercise.

No comments: